Furry and adorable, hamsters are a huge hit as pets for children. These rodents often have short tails and round bodies, but like all rodents, they have small, sharp teeth. While it is possible to tame a hamster into a great pet, it requires much patience and understanding.
Hamsters may be a better option for children over five for a variety of reasons:
- Because they take a little while to adjust to their new homes, they can be testy and bite during the first few days and excited little fingers may be bitten.
- If you plan to keep the hamster in the child’s room, note that they are nocturnal and will be very busy at night. This could keep your child from getting a good night’s rest.
- Like all pets, a calm presence makes the hamsters feel calmer.
Hamsters are typically fairly low maintenance because they live in a confined space and require little interaction, but if you wake them up, they can be grouchy. They also do not enjoy roommates; so one hamster per cage is plenty! Ask one of our pet experts to show you how to search for a happy, healthy hamster.
You’ll need some things for your hamster’s new home and you will find everything you need at Pet Supplies Plus! The first thing will be deciding on the best cage for your home. We have some exciting wire cages, really cool plastic cages with built in tunnels and wheels or the reliable glass aquarium that allows you to use your imagination to make the perfect house for your new little buddy.
Important things to put in the cage are:
- Fresh bedding (we love the fluffy bedding because it absorbs moisture and odor better than the wood chips) and lots of it so your pet can make itself comfortable
- A small house for its nest
- A water bottle
- A food dish
- An exercise wheel (little feet have lots of energy!)
- A tunnel (even a toilet paper tube will work)
Once you are prepared with the essentials, put all the pieces together at home and let your hamster acclimate to the new home. Give your new pet at least 48 hours before you attempt to put your hand in the cage and then go slowly, allowing your hamster to smell your hand for days before attempting to pet it. A good way to their heart is a special treat like a carrot.
We look forward to answering any questions you may have about having a hamster as a pet and showing you exactly what you will need to get you started off on the right foot! Stop by Pet Supplies Plus today to discuss your new pet with one of our pet specialists!